High School

ICSHL: Spartans Clinch Playoff Spot

(Cheryl Hess)

Newark, Del. — Three days after a 4-3 overtime loss to Sun Valley, the St. Mark’s Spartans (7-4-2) overcame a 3-1 deficit to edge the Vanguards (4-9-0), 4-3, in the second half of a home-and-home series on Monday (Jan. 21) at the Patriot Ice Center. The win lifted St. Mark’s to 6-1-2 in ICSHL Liberty South Division play and secured them a second playoff berth since joining the league just last season.

With Spartans leading scorer Graham Kline out due to a lower-body injury, the Vanguards found an opportunity to pounce early, establish an attacking-zone presence, and outshoot St. Mark’s 11-6 in the first period. Ian Finley put Sun Valley on the board 2:21 in with a wraparound backhand goal in the right corner of the St. Mark’s cage, and Lucas Summers earned his sixth goal of the season with a bar-down wrist shot from directly in front of Spartans netminder Billy Pierce at 6:07. A holding minor assessed to Summers gave St. Mark’s a prime opportunity to halve the Vanguards’ lead with just over six minutes left in the first period, and Kelly Stroik’s net-front redirect of a Lance Ralsten shot from the left point cut the Vanguards’ lead to 2-1.

After Patrick Brees fired a 15-foot wrist shot past Pierce from a Joseph Bonacquisti back-door pass 3:23 into the second period, the Spartans rallied to post three unanswered goals and avenge their earlier defeat. At the 5:10 mark, senior defenceman Joey Centrone controlled the puck while negotiating heavy traffic in the Vanguards’ zone, circled behind the net, and generated a shot lane up the left side 15 feet out to bring St. Mark’s back within one. Ralsten’s seventh goal of the year — a punch-in amid a net-front scrum — tied the game for the Spartans midway into the third period, and while a hooking penalty committed by Sun Valley defenceman Gavin McGinnis yielded another power play for the Sparatns with 6:50 left, expletives emanating from the Vanguards’ bench in objection to the call turned it into a two-man advantage.

It took St. Mark’s all of 37 seconds into the 5-on-3 situation to take the lead, as freshman Nick Lawson tapped the puck past Vanguards goalie Ryan Duffield off a Will Ralsten rebound. Now up 4-3 with 6:13 remaining, the Spartans preserved their advantage through strong defence. They killed off a James Morrison tripping minor and parried a 6-on-5 attack from the Vangaurds which lasted the entire final minute of the game.

Pierce saved 19 of 22 shots to improve to 7-4-1 on the season, while Duffield dropped to 4-8-0 with a 13-save performance on 17 shots.

The Spartans square off against Boyertown on Friday (Jan. 25) at Ice Line. Remaining divisional games include Marple-Newtown (Mon., Jan. 28), Interboro (Fri., Feb. 8) and Appoquinimink (Fri. Feb. 22).

The authority for all things hockey in and around the First State, including University of Delaware, Salesianum School, Avon Grove, St. Mark's and Delaware Jr. Blue Hens hockey. Follow Delaware Hockey Night on social media via the linked icons below.

@DEHockeyNight On Twitter

Copyright © 2022 412 Communications. All rights reserved.

To Top